Anthony Davidson giving up on F1?
By LJ Hutchins
Monday, January 12th, 2009
British former F1 racer Anthony Davidson has said that the exit of Honda from the sport realistically ends his hopes of getting a 2009 drive, leading him to turn his attention to sports cars.
He also said that he felt he had been on the verge of securing a Honda race seat for next year – which would have meant displacing current driver Rubens Barrichello and GP2 hopefuls Bruno Senna plus Lucas di Grassi in the queue for the coveted drive.
Davidson, speaking at the Autosport International show at Birmingham, said: “I was in serious talks of not only trying to get a race drive for this year with the team, but as the bare minimum as the reserve driver.
“Talks were progressing really well, and the deal was almost done just with a few weeks to spare before the announcement, and it now leaves me in a very similar situation to what Jenson faces now.
“I think in terms of Formula One drives it is looking very, very slim at the moment. You should never give up, but I am a realist as well and I have learned that over the last year and the year before.
“Working with Super Aguri really put me in a good position for now, for these times , because it was always a kind of rocky road anyway.”
He said that he is hoping to drive in Le Mans once more, after a 2003 appearance in the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the American Le Mans series, both involving Prodrive.
“I feel that having made my name in testing and getting the chance to race in Formula One, I’m a known quantity now and the reason I am sitting here without a drive isn’t because I wasn’t good enough. It’s because the team folded.
“I think at this stage in my career you look for a Formula One drive, and if not, you look for another professional drive.”
He added that he hopes to also concentrate on commentating work, perhaps extending his role with BBC Radio Five Live.